:: INVISALIGN TREATMENT
Invisalign is a procedure that enables the teeth to be moved using transparent aligners which the patient wears permanently, except when eating. .
Moulds are taken of the patient’s teeth and they are then sent to the USA to be digitized. Technicians simulate dental movement on their screen in line with the orthodontist’s recommendations and then create a tailor made set of aligners.
In general, patients are given 3 to 4 pairs of aligners at each appointment every 6 to 8 weeks. Each pair must be worn for 300 hours before moving onto the next.
Adjustments are made to the teeth and aligners at each appointment so that the dental movement process goes smoothly.
Recommendations for Invisalign treatment :
- Do not eat whilst wearing the aligners.
- Only water can be drunk whilst wearing the aligners: there is a space between the aligners and the teeth, so if you drink sweetened drinks (such as soda or fruit juices), part of the drink will go into the aligner. The sugar will then be in direct contact with the teeth for an extended period of time and there will be a very high risk of developing tooth decay. It is therefore essential that you only drink water (without added sugar) when wearing the aligners.
- Brush your teeth after each meal before putting the aligners back on.
- The aligners must be worn for 300 hours over the course of around two weeks, i.e. at least 20 hours per day.
- Speech can be affected slightly at the beginning, but this problem quickly disappears.
- You will feel slight, temporary discomfort each time you move onto a new aligner.